Sunday, March 15, 2009

Learning beyond the books

During my spring break I vacationed with some of my family to Paris, France. It was an incredible experience to see the sights and explore, but it was also an eye opener. Hardly anyone over there spoke English, so it was extremely difficult for us to communicate, which got very frustrating. This made me realize how essential it is to explore the world beyond books, and surround yourself with different cultures. It is like how they say the best way to learn a foreign language is to jump into a community that speaks it. The best way to really understand the way that other people around the world really live, is to experience it for yourself first hand.

The French live very differently from us, but you never really understand why this is until you travel there. I have also been to England, which is different from here as well. Europe and America are almost opposites, but it is wonderful be able to see that and experience it, rather than just learn about it from a distance. From my experience, travel is one of the absolute best ways to really learn about yourself and about the world.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you, I have been to Italy, England and France. When a person travels not only do they learn things about themselves but they learn new cultures as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So wonderful that you learned this AND are open to the idea! I am from a mixed nationality family. I married a foreign national. Have lived {vs visited} in England, China, Turkey...with visits to dozens of countries. Good for you.
    Notes:

    This made me realize how essential it is to explore the world beyond books, and surround yourself [MYSELF?]with different cultures.

    it is wonderful [to] be able to

    absolute [ly]

    ReplyDelete