Thursday, February 5, 2009

Substitute Teaching !

Since my major at Bridgewater is Elementary Education (and English, of course), I have had to do some outside, field experience for a few of my classes. When I recently learned that I was able to substitute teach after completely two full years of school for education, I was immediately on board! I am so excited to teach and I cannot wait to get out into the world of education, so I thought, what a great idea! So, I went to the elementary school in my town and filled out an application.

Tuesday was my first day as a substitute teacher, and the real-life, hands on experience was incredible. It is definately something I would like to continue doing in order to prepare myself for when I have a classroom of my own. I taught a fifth grade special needs class, and although a few of them were a bit wild, they were a particularly hard-working bunch. I was nervous at first, but the day went well and I learned a lot! I also got to apply a lot of what I have learned so far in school, which was great!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Good for you taking that opportunity! Too many teachers get their degrees and their certification with limited practical experience. It will help you so much.

    ReplyDelete