Friday, April 3, 2009

Money vs. Happiness

Last night I was at work at the nursing home I work for part time, and I was doing some homework on my break. There was a new nurse on, and she asked me presumptuously, "Oh, you're going to nursing school?" I responded, "No, I am in school for Elementary Education." She was so surprised and continued to ask me why I would settle for a teaching job when I had my foot in the door with nursing. I told her, "It is what I have always wanted to do, that's why." I was a little annoyed by her comments, but that is not the first time I have gotten a reaction like that about my career choice. Sure, nurses make more money than teachers for the most part, but I am going to be doing what makes me happy. Isn't that what we should all strive to do?

1 comment:

  1. Tough questions. Seems similar to what people say about love, too.

    Nursing will be there if you change your mind. If you love kids and can do that crazy difficult organizing of little people, the schools certainly need you!

    Note: was at work at the nursing home I work for watch repetitive words

    ReplyDelete